Friday 3 July 2009

Disclaimer and musings

I thought I should note down a few things before I start this, and outline roughly what I expect to see, and write.

  1. I am not a film geek. Therefore I may well misuse terms and miss some obvious things that real film afficianados would pick up on. I always get a bit lost when people start talking about how great the cinematography was, or how well a film was edited. That's not to say that I don't notice these things per-se, but I don't think about them in those terms.
  2. I intend to outline what I know about a film before I watch and review it. This is not in order to gain affection through pity or my ignorance or anything, I just saw someone else do it on their review site and thought it was a good idea - for my purposes more than anything.
  3. I wasn't going to award stars or anything, but some discussion with mates made me change my mind. I don't think that anyone really cares what my opinion is in terms of 'scores' - not even me. This is also down to the fact that these are all supposed to be 'great' films - a league table made up entirely of '4 stars' is a bit pointless. However, people do seem to like some sort of 'ratings' - so I will rate the films - details below.
  4. That said, I don't expect to agree that they are all 'great' films. It's such a subjective thing, and I'm sure that Roger Ebert's tastes are somewhat more refined than mine. However, hopefully my tastes may change as I go through the process - it will be interesting to see.

The ratings system I have decided to use is very simple - what would I recommend for the average film viewer:
  • Skip it - not really worth the effort
  • Rent it - worth a watch
  • Buy it - you'll want to watch it again

In more general news, I expect 'Casablanca' to be waiting for me when I get home tonight, so I should kick off the watching this weekend - depending on how long the tennis is on for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online