Monday 27 July 2009

The Third Man (1949)

Preamble
This is probably the first of these films since Casablanca that I was really looking forward to seeing, simply because I have not seen it for a long time

What I already knew
I have seen The Third Man before, although not for quite a few years. Therefore I knew that this was based on a novel by Graham Greene, I basically knew the plot, the fact that it features Orson Welles and the signature zither tune. I also know its reputation as a great film (unlike some of the others that I have never heard of).

Review
The first thing that struck me from the titles was that Graham Greene also wrote the screenplay - something I didn't realise before. Then there was the voiceover exposition at the start of the film - which I'm not sure was entirely necessary. Sometimes these things work, and sometimes they seem a bit forced. In this case, I think it struck me as a bit forced.

The story moves along quite quickly, and you do have to pay attention to keep up. There is an off-balance feel about the action, as if nothing is quite what it seems. This is emphasised by the camera work, which makes much use of tilted camera shots, which keeps everythgin feeling a little out-of-place and odd. The music is simple but varied, and does tie the whole film together quite well.

The film centres around Holly Martins (Jospeh Cotten) who arrives in Vienna to start working with/for an old friend Harry Lime (Orson Welles) only to find that Harry died a few days before. His suspicions are raised, and he starts to do some investigating to see if he can find out 'what really happens'. There are plenty of ins-and-outs, not the least of which is Holly meeting, and falling for, Harry's girldfriend - Anna Schmidt (Alida Valli).

This is probably the one part of the film that doesn't quite ring true for me. Perhaps it's just me, but as with Vertigo, I didn't really feel that there was much of a relationship there - I didn't quite understand why Holly would fall for Anna so quickly or so deeply. Despite this, it was a good solid performance from them both.

There are also solid performances from Trevor Howard as Major Calloway and Bernard Lee as Serjeant Paine, but frankly the whole film is stolen by Orson Welles when he finally turns up. This is not simply becuase it is a great performance (although it is); it is also because there has been a steady but building myhtology built up about Harry Lime. There is almost a great big hole in the film until he actually enters the action, and it is a beautiful entrance. While there are some good action sequences (such as the chase through the sewers), it is the dialogue that really drives this film, and it is nicely done, without being overbearing.

This is quite a dark film - much of it takes place at night or in dark settings, which is used to build tension and atmosphere, either in obvious ways or in more subtle ways, but it all works quite well.

Overall, I enjoyed this very much, and would definately watch it again, if only for Orson Welles' entrance


Rating : Buy it

Mrs Worm's Opinion
The music is very annoying

Useful links

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online